Subject: Re: ath channel selection problem
To: None <gdt@ir.bbn.com, Konstantin.Kabassanov@lip6.fr>
From: List Mail User <track@Plectere.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/30/2004 18:32:48
	Actually, the "ath" driver seems to have a bug where (at least for
802.11a - not 802.11[bg] APs/routers) it will scan indefinitely and NEVER
associate.  The workaround is to set a good channel (I have an ESSID with
multiple APs sharing the same SSIDs, but on separate channels), wait a while,
then "-chan" the card -- further scanning (after the first association)
seems to work (the card will "roam" between APs, often at apparently random
intervals).  My /etc/ifconfig.ath0 looks like:

	inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 0xXXXXXXXX media auto chan 50 mode 11a mediaopt turbo ssid "XXXXXXXX" nwkey 0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX up
	!sleep 2
	-chan

	This "works" - failing to set an initial channel seldom if ever
results in an 'a' association for any "ath" card I've tried ( any of
521[1234] based cards ).  BTW.  the "turbo" doesn't affect this, `std.'
802.11a acts the same for me, and this is on "-current".  Also, the ordering
is very picky - you must set channel BEFORE "mode" & "mediaopt" or an
error occurs.

	Paul Shupak
	paul@plectere.com

P.S.  Yes, I know this should be a PR, but with time constraints and an easy
workaround...