Subject: Re: Skipping TCP / UDP / IP checksums on loopback traffic
To: NetBSD-network <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/25/2004 18:34:30
--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

Jonathan Stone wrote:

> And (in case its not obvious): yes, I *do* have some interest in
> network-throughput benchmarks over local-loopback. Personally, I'm
> much less interested in those benchmarks if they elide checksumming.

Hm... but now you say you want the checksumming to take place in this case
so that you can use lo0 to benchmark the checksumming...=20

But real applications might use lo0 to transfer real data, so you can argue
that not checksumming helps real applications, while checksumming only is
for benchmarks.

OTOH, said applications should probably use PF_LOCAL instead...

	-is
--=20
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi