Subject: How to create a virtual network inside a NetBSD Box
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/24/2004 11:10:52
Dear group

I am wondering, how to solve the following problem with NetBSD:

I'd like to create a C-Class Network Net2 'insde' a NetBSD
host like this:

                           NetBSD host
                      .                   .
      I--------I      .     I--------I    .      I--------I
  ----I  Net1  I------------I  Net2  I-----------I  Net3  I------
      I--------I      .     I--------I    .      I--------I
                      .                   .

Net1: Network with Private addresses
Net2: Network with offical addresses
Net3: our DMZ

NetBSD host: A NetBSD Firewall/NAT-Box with one interface
             into Net1 and one into Net3

The goal would be to use the addresses of Net2 as NAT source
adresses so I wouldn't need to use up alot of Net3 adress space
for that.

I guess, I'd have to use the lo(4) interface for that, wouldn't I?
But lo(4) doesn't explicitly mention such a usage.

Would it be possible to create lo1 additionally to lo0?

Has anybody built something like this?

Thanks
Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch