Subject: Re: pcap and ICMP messages
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
From: =?utf-8?q?J=C3=B6rn_Seger?= <>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/15/2004 16:16:08
Am Mittwoch, 15. September 2004 12:04 schrieben Sie:

> why do you need the IP-header? The kernel's IP stack can handle it fine,
> normally... (unless you want to do the strange things traceroute asks
> for...)

=2E.. hm - not easy to explain: I wrote a simulation and I would like to=20
exchange the network layer object from the simulation network by a "real"=20
network backend. But the protocols within the simulation can produce packet=
with different ip_proto IDs (e.g. unkown for the kernel), which will be=20
handled in a base network layer object. This all should help for "rapid=20
prototyping" to get a simulated protocol working on a real network without=
reimplementation for a demo.

The problems really start, when I try to do things like "running different=
protocols on the same host in parallel" - hm ... do I really need this ...I=
don't know but it would be a "nice to have"!

That's it - Best regards - J=C3=B6rn=20