Subject: RFC 1323 and
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/10/2004 10:25:38

I just saw this message on German Usenet that, summarized says:

,----[ from usenet article ]
| can't be reached without ever timing out.  The reason for
| this is that a gateway throws away non-standard packets received from
|  Reference:
| "When the TCP timestamp option (RFC 1323) is used
| the extra 12 bytes aren't taken into account when creating a packet so
| the packet ends up being 12 bytes larger than the maximum segment size
| announced by the correspondent host + 40 bytes for IP+TCP headers"
| If the user uses
|        sysctl net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=3D0
| under OpenBSD or FreeBSD, the page is loaded normally.

Without having investigated this at all, does anybody here know if that
is actually the case and what, if anything, we can do about this?

'I have reached an age where my main purpose is not to receive
messages.' --- Umberto Eco, quoted in the New Yorker

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)