Subject: Re: ipnat - ftp-proxy not working
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/30/2004 11:29:10
> The problem I have is that active mode ftp is not working through
> ipnat's ftp-proxy.

Is that even supposed to work?  I thought you had to use passive mode.
(But more generally, yes, FTP is one of the protocols broken most
severely by NAT.  Some NAT implementations, such as ours, attempt to
patch it up, but such attempts are necessarily rather fragile; in
general, you may find yourself having to choose between FTP and NAT.
NAT breaks the assumptions underlying the net, so it's no surprise it's
incompatible with some protocols.  TANSTAAFL.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign