Subject: Re: lo(4) as a clonable interface
To: Peter Postma <peter@pointless.nl>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/23/2004 21:58:22
Le Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:34:58 +0200
Peter Postma a ecrit :
> The attached patch converts lo(4) into a clonable interface.
> So there's no longer need to rebuild the kernel to add additional
> loopback interfaces.
>
> Can someone please review the patch before I'm going send-pr it?

I made a similar patch a while ago, but then got discouraged by the uses
of loif[0], mostly in the INET6 code.  I think your patch (as mine did)
makes those uses even more hacky than they currently are, so I don't see
the overall benefit.

I'd like to see the loif[0] uses fixed somehow, they seems wrong to me.

Apart from that, the only things I'd change in your patch are the use of
malloc().  You can just use M_ZERO to avoid the following call to memset,
and you don't need to check for the return value:  malloc either succeeds
or panics.

"Commala-come-five! / Even when the shadows rise!
To see the world and walk the world / Makes ya glad to be alive."
Susannah's Song, The Dark Tower VI, Stephen King, 2004.