Subject: Re: RPC/mountd problems
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/07/2004 23:36:06
On Wednesday 07 July 2004 22:58, der Mouse wrote:
> > I want to export /home/pcguest as read only and /home/<project> as
> > read/write for some network.  /home resided on dedicated partition
>
> [...]
>
> > Question is: why i cannot export several directories from the same
> > root directory with different access rights ?
>
> Because the NetBSD implementation doesn't support it.  Access checking
> is per-mountpoint on the server; you simply can't get different access
> properties for different directory trees within the same server-side
> mount point.

Ugh-ugh.. Ok, i got it. But what should i do if i need to host many projects
on some server and export them with NFS ? As minimum, different projects have
different access rules. Assigning one mount point per project isn't too good.
I can reach the limit of disklabel too fast, not mentioning the
administrative nightmare..

> In principle this may be fixable, but it would be extremely difficult
> (and probably computationally expensive) to get right - consider the
> case where a directory is rename(2)ed from one sub-tree to another,
> while a client has filehandles for objects under that directory.

Sorry, i'm not good in NFS, i'm just using it so it's hard for me to evaluate
all the cases :)

// wbr