Subject: Re: "reference" 802.11(b) interface
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/26/2004 17:51:38
On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 02:24:15PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Martijn van Buul wrote:
> > so I'll have to reverse-engineer an existing driver. What driver could
> > I use best as my
> > reference implementation?
>
> I'm no kernel guru, but maybe you can look at two kinds of drivers here:
> 1) USB-Ethernet-drivers like aue, cue, etc.
> 2) Wavelan-drivers like wi, an, etc.

I have no idea about the USB stuff.  It might be informative to look at
the USB attachment for wi(4) that is in OpenBSD.

Make sure that you use the net80211 framework.

It looks to me like you are uploading a firmware.  Is it redistributable
under BSD license?  It is my understanding that the Atmel MAC is an
ARM microcontroller; have you got the docs on programming that part?
An original firmware should be attempted, if the docs can be had.

Dave