Subject: Re: NIC to disk issues
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/10/2004 16:15:49
> I've had similar network performance issues when the duplex setting
> on my NIC disagreed with the switch.

I actually saw something somewhat similar once, and it turned out to be
a hardware bug - the motherboard in question fell flat on its face in
the presence of contention for PCI bandwidth.  You could stream data
RAM->net, net->RAM, RAM->disk, disk->RAM, and everything was fine, but
try to do simultaneous net and disk access and it crawled.  (We mostly
worked around it for our purposes by using big (tens of megabytes) RAM
buffers, until we could get another machine in place.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign