Subject: Aironet 350 v5 support question
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Jim Miller <tech-net@jcmco.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/08/2004 17:54:32
Hello,

I am attempting to use a Cisco Aironet 350 with firmware 5.x on NetBSD
1.6.2.

I searched the mailing list archives and read through the kernel
source code and it appears that only version 4 firmware of this card
is supported in 1.6.2.

In the NetBSD CVSweb repository I found updated versions of
/sys/dev/ic/an.c, anreg.h, and anvar.h that support the v 5.x cards.
I tried to compile these newer versions into my 1.6.2 kernel but the
compile failed miserably due to moved header files and other problems.
From what I can tell the 802.11 driver framework has changed
considerably.

I would like to ask the list members for their suggestions on
supporting the 350 with the v5 firmware.

Unfortunately changing to a different card is not possible in my
circumstance.  Is it feasable for me to attempt a backport of the
updated an.c to 1.6.2 or has too much changed between 1.6.2 and 2.0
for this to be worthwhile?

The target platform is a single board computer in an unattended
embedded application and I have stability concerns about running
pre-release NetBSD 2.0 code.

Thank you,

Jim Miller