Subject: Re: DNS-SD in getaddrinfo()
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Pelle Johansson <morth@morth.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/04/2004 15:03:40
2004-06-03 kl. 16.17 skrev Matt Thomas:

> OK.  Another random thought.  Use /etc/services to specify it by the
> existence of an alias of srv-name (srv-telnet).  The existence of the
> alias would tell getaddrinfo that it should attempt to to use SRV
> records.

I had a moment to think at the gym, and realised that this is actually
how it should work. The SRV lookup should be on a per protocol basis,
not a per call to getaddrinfo() basis. /etc/services seems to be the
logical place to put such info (and it'd be easy to implement, just
prefix the lookup with "srv-"), but perhaps it could been seen as
misusing the traditional function of the file.
--
Pelle Johansson
<morth@morth.org>