Subject: Re: DNS-SD in getaddrinfo()
To: NetBSD-network <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/03/2004 07:17:17
At 09:25 PM 6/2/2004, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>On Jun 2, 2004, at 6:40 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
>>But it's the wrong thing to do.  Using SRV records is
>>application-specific, not client machine specific; we need a way for an
>>application to signal that it wants to use SRV.
>
>Correct.  It is absolutely inappropriate to specify srv in
>nsswitch.conf.  The notion of doing so doesn't even really make much sense
>(nevermind the fact that srv is just another use of dns).

OK.  Another random thought.  Use /etc/services to specify it by the
existence of an alias of srv-name (srv-telnet).  The existence of the
alias would tell getaddrinfo that it should attempt to to use SRV records.

I'm trying to avoid tweaking each app to use AI_SRV and let that come
from a configuration file.

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/