Subject: Re: DNS-SD in getaddrinfo()
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Pelle Johansson <morth@morth.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/03/2004 11:23:51
2004-06-03 kl. 06.25 skrev Jason Thorpe:

> On Jun 2, 2004, at 6:40 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
>> But it's the wrong thing to do.  Using SRV records is
>> application-specific, not client machine specific; we need a way for
>> an
>> application to signal that it wants to use SRV.
>
> Correct.  It is absolutely inappropriate to specify srv in
> nsswitch.conf.  The notion of doing so doesn't even really make much
> sense (nevermind the fact that srv is just another use of dns).

The most obvious place would be to add a new option to resolv.conf/the
RES_OPTIONS env variable. I looked at the code reading those
(src/lib/libc/resolv/res_init.c) and it silently ignores unknown
options, presumably on all archs, so there wouldn't be any
compatibility issue.

Going that way though, there should probably be a way for each
application to override in either way, using perhaps options AI_SRV and
AI_NOSRV. As pointed out, this is a case where the application
sometimes does know better than the user.
--
Pelle Johansson
<morth@morth.org>