Subject: Re: Default value of net.inet.ipsec.dfbit breaks PMTU over IPsec tunnels
To: Michael Hertrick <m.hertrick@neovera.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/28/2004 11:43:22
--Apple-Mail-41-88420415

On May 28, 2004, at 9:43 AM, Michael Hertrick wrote:

> You're probably right for the sake of compatibility with non-PMTUD
> hosts, but if it is copied from the original then one is leaving the
> decision up to the untrustworthy end-user/system.

Sure, but how is that different from a non-IPsec gateway?  We're
talking effectively about a router, here.  Non-IPsec gateways don't
arbitrarily set DF in packets.

> What do you think about a default setting of '3'?  '3' being "Drop all
> packets until the administrator sets the value to 0, 1, or 2."

Heh, I think that's just plain anti-social :-)  Besides, even in the
current situation, you need to change the setting to get the behavior
that you happen to want, so... :-)

--Apple-Mail-41-88420415
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit