Subject: Re: Default value of net.inet.ipsec.dfbit breaks PMTU over IPsec tunnels
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/27/2004 17:48:50
--Apple-Mail-28-23948093

On May 21, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

>   Please see draft-richardson-ipsec-fragment-00.txt, which the pmtud WG
> has not yet adopted as a BCP, but has talked about.

I just read your I-D.  The problem statement is nothing more than the
classic "ICMP black hole" that PMTU has had to deal with for quite some
time anyway, and has absolutely nothing to do with IPsec ... as far as
I can tell, the only reason it's related to IPsec *at all* is because
tunnels happen to reduce the MTU.  It could certainly happen with any
encapsulation protocol, including plain old IP-IP.

Just become "some" IPsec vendors subsequently chose to ignore DF
because they were being "blamed" for the ICMP black hole does not mean
that it's appropriate for NetBSD's IPsec implementation to default to
this utterly bogus behavior.

--Apple-Mail-28-23948093
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit