Subject: Re: status vlans on bge(4)?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/15/2004 04:12:33
>>> You mean, the manpage is right?  Vlans are not supported on bge
>>> interfaces in netbsd-1.6 ?
>> I can't be sure [...but] that's certainly what it looks like to me.

> Line 2398 of sys/dev/pci/if_bge.c:
>         sc->ethercom.ec_capabilities |=
>             ETHERCAP_VLAN_HWTAGGING | ETHERCAP_VLAN_MTU;

> Looks to me [as if] it can deal with VLAN tagged packets, as well as
> adding tags in hardware.

That's most peculiar.  Perhaps as of 1.6 the driver didn't know how to
make it handle oversize packets or some such?  This is now beyond my
competence - the diagnosis I offered seemed most probable to me in view
of the symptoms, but it is at odds with the implications of your code
snippet.  So I just don't know.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign