Subject: Re: ath Atheros driver no buffer space available and can't power off
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/21/2004 12:02:08
On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 05:01:36AM -0400, Alicia da Conceicao wrote:
> 1) Every 15 mins or so of light but contineous network activity, like
> 	SSH and web page browsing, the ath driver would temporarily halt
> 	all network activity for about 3-5 mins, and if I attempt a ping
> 	to a local machine on the lan I get:
>
> 	ping: sendto: No buffer space available

I think that ath(4) might have a problem with mbuf exhaustion, although
it is strange if only you and I have noticed.  Does it fully recover
after 3-5 minutes?  That is strange.  Are you perhaps using your ath in
ad hoc mode?

Please file a PR, then let me know the PR number.

> 2) There does not appear to be a way to power off the Atheros card; not
> 	even "ifconfig ath0 down" turns off the radio in the card, and
> 	I noticed that the battery drain of my laptop is the same
> 	whether or not ath0 is ifconfig'ed up or down.

File a PR for this separately.  Let me know the number.

Dave