Subject: Re: if_null
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/08/2004 07:38:34
Le Thu, 8 Apr 2004 00:18:31 -0400
Andrew Brown a ecrit :
[...]
> i did this once, but i called it "nul" instead of "null".  i was
> probably thinking that i liked cisco's name or something.  fwiw, i
> copied if_loop.c instead, and ripped the bottom off it.  i've still
> got it around here somewhere...
>
> >You can pick up a copy at http://www.machshav.com/~smb/if_null .
> >I compiled and tested it on 2.0beta; it will probably work on -current
> >without change.  I have no idea what would happen on 1.6.2.
>
> indeed, i had trouble making mine do "the right thing" with ipv6.
> does yours do do?  for some reason, i was always able to ping whatever
> v6 address i assigned to the interface, leading me to believe that v6
> was something i needed to know yet more about when i had more time...

Maybe because your code left IFF_LOOPBACK flag, and ipv6 code do special
things with it?  Just a guess, but in that case Steve's code would be OK
in that respect.

"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.
Should I lay my fiddle down and take a rifle from the ground ?"
Leigh Nash/Sixpence None The Richer, Paralyzed, Divine Discontents, 2002.