Subject: gethostbyname seg-fault when compiled with cross/i386-linux
To: None <>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/25/2004 20:36:25

I recently installed "cross/i386-linux" and have used it to successfully
cross-compile numerous linux binary applications with NetBSD.

However, wheneven I run any application that calls "gethostbyname", the
linux binary crashes with a segmentation fault.  Statically linking
"/usr/pkg/cross/ix86-linux/lib/libresolv.a" does not help and the binary
still gets the seg-fault.

But when I compile the exact same code on a SuSE linux machine, the binary
is able to successfully call gethostbyname, and does not crash.

Any suggestions on how to fix or work around this?

Thanks in advance.