Subject: Re: Mad route and can't allocate llinfo
To: Greg Troxel <>
From: Stephen Borrill <>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/25/2004 18:56:52
On 25 Feb 2004, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   0&0xa006402       UGS         0    14513      -  fxp0 =>
> That appears to be a route with a non-normal mask, where the
> destination is, but the mask is

Ah, I see what it's saying now. Non-contiguous bitmasks are shown as &
followed by it in hex rather than the regular /<number of bits> suffix.

> This was likely created with
> route add default -netmask

Odd thing is that I'm pretty certain that this hasn't been entered
manually. I know nothing about the machine (it's out of my
administrative control). I'll kick some people and see if they've been
playing about.

> I ran that and ping of (note that this has no bits set which
> are in the match) gave me the same kernel msg:
> arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo on fxp0 for
> # route delete default -netmask
> removed the bogus route.

Yes, it did here too. Thanks.

> I would recommend kevlar engtex chaps when playing with non-normal
> routes:

I'll bear that in mind if the urge ever takes me to do it.

> But seriously, I wonder if a sysctl to allow non-normal masks is in
> order, defaulting to not allowed.

That would be a good idea.