Subject: Re: SLIP/serial driver Problem?
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/04/2004 05:38:07
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Robert Elz wrote:

>     Date:        Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:14:56 -0600 (CST)
>     From:        Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
>
>   | If you've started with "persist" but not "demand", you can also
>   | initiate renegotiation by sending a SIGHUP
>
> Thanks - but this is all achieving the "wrong" outcome.   I don't want
> to renegotiate, I want to resume my previous PPP connection, without the
> other end even being aware I've been gone (aside from some missing
[...]
> This is why I asked the question, it is a bit hard to believe that there
> isn't a way to do it.   It is also why I asked Bill - in that, there may
> very well be a way that just happens not to be supported in NetBSD,
> which would then be a nice project for someone...

Well, I don't think there is. There are too many possibilities that
have to be negotiated, and the freshly booted node has to get that
information from somewhere. You could turn off phases to make it go a
little faster -- noauth, noccp, no ip -- but turning off LCP would be
like, like turning off ARP on ethernet; you just don't do it.

Frederick