Subject: Re: BIND8 upgrade?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/01/2004 22:06:41
    Date:        Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:44:08 +0000 (UTC)
    From:        tron@zhadum.de (Matthias Scheler)

  | Because it was a very old snapshot. And there several BIND advisories
  | published after its release.

Which?   The most recent BIND advisory I can find on the CERT site
is from November 2002, which is before the 20021217 snapshot.  What's
more, that advisory (and most of the others) applies only to bind4
and bind8.

Which particular advisory do you believe affects bind 9.3 ?

No question but it was old - but there are lots of other packages
with much older distfiles, are you planning on deleting all of those
as well?   Or was it just because this distfile was labeled as a
"snapshot"?

  | Not a chance. If someone wants to create a newer snapshot package he or
  | she might can go ahead.

And how would it differ from the one that was removed?   That 20021217
is *still* the most recent 9.3 version available from ISC.   It may
easily end up being the last 9.3 version ever available.

I don't think 9.4 is ready for real use yet, so I don't think including
that one would be a good idea (anyone who wants to play with the early
code won't have much trouble building it, it isn't as if bind needs lots
of NetBSD specific patches or anythingt).

And I agree with itojun, 9.3 (or after) really are the versions that
should be used, not 9.2 (and certainly nothing earlier)..
kre

ps: I've ceased caring much, I've just checked out the old removed pkgsrc
using -D (2004-01-01 works fine).