Subject: `Buffer unavailable' bug. Want to fix; howto reproduce?
To: None <>
From: Peter Bex <>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/25/2004 20:03:46

[Please CC replies to me, I'm not subscribed to tech-net]

Hey all,

I've run into this problem twice already and wish to fix it.  Allow me to

When my Internet connection for some reason is dropped by my provider (for
maintenance or whatever reason), I get this message:
Jan 25 18:46:04 frohike /netbsd: mtd0: receive buffer unavailable

After that, the computer is completely unavailable from the `net.
When I physically get to the machine and ping some host, suddenly the
machine is accessible from the outside again.

The strange thing is, I've had a p2p application running, and I've set up
fetchmail to check my e-mail every 2 minutes.
Why don't these two applications `activate' my connection, and a ping does?

I'd like this fixed before 2.0, of course.  So could anyone tell me how
to reproduce this situation, so I can tinker around a little?  I can't
reproduce it myself.  (I've tried pulling the network cable, thereby
`simulating' a connection drop, but that didn't trigger the error.)

Any ideas for fixes in my (dev/ic/mtd803.c) code would also be appreciated =

Or (seems unlikely to me) is this a problem on my ISP's side (or in TCP/IP)?

Kind regards,
							-- Donald Knuth

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)