Subject: Re: [802.11] Enabling beacon frames reception in hostap mode
To: Jorge Ramon Acereda Maci? <jacereda@users.sourceforge.net>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/20/2004 10:30:07
On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:22:58PM +0100, Jorge Ramon Acereda Maci? wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to track the location of wireless devices using RSSI as an
> indicator. I am using the ath driver. Everything is fine when the
> device is in monitor mode, I get packets via libpcap without
> problem. But when I switch to hostap mode, beacon frames don't seem to
> be passed to the bpf. I have tried putting the following at the end of
> ath_calcrxfilter():

It looks like you have found a bug in ath(4). I cannot receive beacons
in hostap mode, either. Monitor mode just crashes the computer (Maybe
I am using an out-of-date HAL.)

If you could receive the beacons, I am not sure that it will solve
the problem. Can you explain what you are trying to do with the
beacons? Locate the other APs?

Dave