Subject: Re: multiple Tx queues
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/07/2004 14:16:45
At 8:32 -0800 1/7/04, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>On Jan 6, 2004, at 10:48 PM, David Young wrote:
>
>>  Any ideas how NetBSD can exploit these features?
>
>Could utilize packet tags to map IP TOS, maybe?
>
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>

I thought the IETF explicitly deprecated the TOS bits a while ago?
There was a proposal to reuse at least one of them for a "congestion
experienced" bit...

I do remember that the main reason the TOS bits were thought to be
silly to implement was that if you really want to support N paths
with different TOS parameters to the same destination, you end up
(worst case) multiplying the size of the routing table by N for each
destination net that has different TOS parameters. Given the pressure
to keep routing table sizes down to something manageable, this was
thought not to be wise.

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>