Subject: Re: botch in wi0 on alpha
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/21/2003 22:44:38
David Young <dyoung@pobox.com> writes:

> wi(4) contains no bus barriers, but lots of code could be sensitive to
> out-of-order reads & writes. I am adding barriers where I think they are
> called for. I will send a patch, soon. If somebody who understands the
> fine points of bus barriers will review my patches, I would appreciate it.

All of the alpha bus-space operations currently include barriers; that
is, they're conservative rather than permissive. Thus, I doubt that
bus_space reordering is the problems.

(I had a quick look at the machine check status; nothing really jumped
out at me, even with the 21071 manual handy).

        - Nathan