Subject: Re: botch in wi0 on alpha
To: mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/21/2003 21:25:40
On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 08:28:04AM -0500, mel kravitz wrote:
> Any one trying to use wi0 (pci card) on alpha with -current
> (1.6ZG)?  ifconfig wi0 inet xxxy.... will crash the box , as
> reported: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2003/05/06/0000.html
> This is on an AlphaServer 500/333 with  supported card:

I do not have the docs I need to interpret the machine-check
exception. Does anyone? My guess is that it indicates either bad
alignment, or else some bus exception raised by your wi(4) instance---can
a PCI adapter return the equivalent of EAGAIN or EBUSY?

wi(4) contains no bus barriers, but lots of code could be sensitive to
out-of-order reads & writes. I am adding barriers where I think they are
called for. I will send a patch, soon. If somebody who understands the
fine points of bus barriers will review my patches, I would appreciate it.

Dave