Subject: altqstat output
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@terabyte.com.ua>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/28/2003 19:21:57
Greetings!

I've tried to use ALTQ and start as described on "ALTQ Tips" document by
Kenjiro Cho. Unfortunately, the altqstat shows me the floolowing out:

altqstat: fifoq on interface tlp0
 q_len:0 q_limit:50 period:0
 xmit:0 pkts (0 bytes) drop:0 pkts (0 bytes)
 throughput: 0bps
 q_len:31 q_limit:50 period:0
 xmit:0 pkts (0 bytes) drop:0 pkts (0 bytes)
 throughput: 0bps
 q_len:37 q_limit:50 period:0
 xmit:0 pkts (0 bytes) drop:0 pkts (0 bytes)
 throughput: 0bps
 q_len:37 q_limit:50 period:0
 xmit:0 pkts (0 bytes) drop:0 pkts (0 bytes)
 throughput: 0bps
 q_len:29 q_limit:50 period:0
 xmit:0 pkts (0 bytes) drop:0 pkts (0 bytes)
 throughput: 0bps
 q_len:0 q_limit:50 period:0
 xmit:0 pkts (0 bytes) drop:0 pkts (0 bytes)
 throughput: 0bps

which is looks strange for me (xmit 0 pkts, etc.)

At the time of altqstat is running the netperf was used to create
the some network flow:

TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.0.7 : histogram
Recv   Send    Send
Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed
Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput
bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/sec

 57344  57344   8192    20.02      28.93

The altq.conf contains the following line only:

interface tlp0 bandwidth 30M fifoq

and kernel config contains some aproppriate options:

options         ALTQ            # Alternate Queueing
options         ALTQ_RED        # ALTQ Random Early Detection
options         ALTQ_RIO        # ALTQ RED with In/Out support
options         ALTQ_FIFOQ      # ALTQ FIFO Quieueing
options         ALTQ_CBQ        # ALTQ Class-Bassed Queueing
options         ALTQ_HFSC       # ALTQ Hierarhical Fair Service Curve
options         ALTQ_PRIQ       # ALTQ Priority Queueing
options         ALTQ_WFQ        # ALTQ Weighted Fair Queueing
options         ALTQ_IPSEC      # ALTQ IPSec support

Is this a real problem? Note, the throughput was really decreased to
30Mb/sec (about 93Mbit/sec without ALTQ), but altqstat still show me
just nothing, but qlen only. System - NetBSD 1.6ZF.

Thanks for your time.

--
Best regards,
Mishka.