Subject: Re: Using a NetBSD system as a WLAN access point
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/28/2003 21:14:08
On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:33:39AM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> because my good old Airport Basestation died I'm considering to use one
> of my NetBSD systems as WLAN access point for my 802.11b network. What
> hardware (wireless cards) and software (NetBSD 1.6.2 vs. NetBSD-current)
> do I need for that?

You want a PRISM2.5-based card, and probably -current.  I can't
honestly recall if "mediaopt hostap" was in 1.6 or pulled up later,
but even if it was there is other new wireles goodness in -current
that might be useful.

If you don't want/need an actual BSS, you could just as readily
operate with other cards in adhoc mode.

Then again base stations (especially b-only ones) are very cheap
these days, nothing like what your airport would have cost originally.

--
Dan.