Subject: Re: PR misc/23431 (CARP)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Hertrick <m.hertrick@neovera.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/15/2003 17:28:24
Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

>I am much more concerned about something else: CARP hijacks numbers
>allocated by IANA to another protocol, namely VRRP.  I cannot see how
>we can possibly integrate it into NetBSD when this is the case.
>
>Thor

CARP is just a demo for now, so in my mind that's acceptable.  This has
actually made troubleshooting easier.  For one thing, I don't have to
mess with tcpdump filters as much to easily identify and read the
protocol and a few parameters from the wire.  Naturally, these hijacked
numbers would have to be changed for the real world, if it gets there,
and even properly assigned by the IANA.

This initial release surely had to be an intentional stab at Cisco, for
some reason... the developers must have had some hostility in their
hearts for Cisco at the time of writing CARP.

Thanks for the patent info.  That was a good example... :-)
~Mike.