Subject: Re: PR misc/23431 (CARP)
To: Michael Hertrick <m.hertrick@neovera.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/15/2003 08:33:19
So, a few probably stupid questions from someone that has not looked at code
or details at all:

 - Is CARP going to be standardizied(sp?) in any way, or is it just an ad-hoc
   solution local to OpenBSD?
 - Did someone verify the patent claims for VRRP do not affect CARP?
   They probably are (see above, I have no clue, this is all FUD) intentionaly
   written very unspecific.

I just want to make sure we do not adapt a very non-standard solution instead
of a real standard and later get the same problems we would have had with
"the real thing".

And obvious last question:

 - Did someone verify the VRRP license conditions are incompatible with
   *our* project goals? I think it's pretty clear that OpenBSD concluded
   that for their goals, but that means pretty much nothing for us.

Michael, this is not to stop your work: as you said it is a practical
solution and you had a problem to solve. Your effort is very much apreciated.

Martin