Subject: Re: HEADS UP! Default value of ip6_v6only changed
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org, current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/28/2003 07:15:28
>>> And why is it, that I cannot reliably browse into V6 nodes like the
>>> kame site to see the dancing turtle from this browser?
>> Again, I can only conjecture.  This time my guess is that v6
>> connectivity [...] is not in good shape;
> No, I know about the V6 overlay problems, I work for the agency which
> hands v6 addresses out in Asia,

Yes, I noticed @apnic.net - but I'm sure not everyone at APNIC has v6
connectivity clue.  And even the clueful sometimes miss the obvious; I
know I have often enough.

> I pre-tested my connectivity with traceroute6 before attempting the
> connect, I could telnet to the 6 address and get the HTML.

If you could do the fetch by hand without trouble, then the problem
_has_ to be a software problem in Mozilla, one way or another.

> Since web is like the reason significant numbers of people are
> online, this is badness for a v6 deployment story, and a 'unix
> desktops work in the real world' story.

Well...only if NetBSD and/or Mozilla will figure heavily in those,
which I'm not entirely sure is true.  (Now, if IE under Windows didn't
work, that could be crippling for widespread adoption - but also
wouldn't be NetBSD's problem.)

> Of course neither you nor I will care much in this point of the post
> NCP world,

Well, I personally don't care directly about much of anything about how
Mozilla behaves, anyway. :-)

> but at some stage, documentation has to match reality.  I think the
> MESSAGE should maybe read:

> 	V6 support in Mozilla is broken. Wierdness can happen if your URL
> 	resolves to a AAAA and a V4 A record, or even to AAAA alone. YYMV.

Sounds sensible to me, though I'd be inclined to also try to work with
the Mozilla people to find and fix whatever is responsible - even if
that just means turning off V6ONLY upon creating any INET6 socket.
According to the NetBSD doc, this should make it work just as it would
if v6only were sysctled to 0....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign