Subject: Re: How to detect net cable plug-in
To: None <>
From: David Young <>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/14/2003 13:07:04
On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 10:10:44AM -0500, Brian Grayson (home) wrote:
>   I'm no networking guru.  Can anyone tell me if that ifconfig to
> is really necessary?  Is it only necessary if the iface is not
> already up?  I can ifconfig to, unplug the cable, plug it back
> in, and dhclient changes it to like it should....

I don't think that most of dhclient-script is necessary. It looks
like a bunch of voodoo for cross-platform compatibility to me. I
am especially wary of the 'route add ...' and
'route delete ...' lines. Maybe somebody can explain
how the script is supposed to work.

David Young             OJC Technologies      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933