Subject: Re: How to disable Verisign's Site Finder in named?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/27/2003 04:55:39
> While we are discussing the ethics of Verisign's site finder, I have
> a quick question.

Well, this is a bit off-topic for tech-net, but...

> Since ICANN and courts in several nations have ruled against
> cybersquatters that registered domain names that contain
> miss-spelling of registered trademarks, then why hasn't the courts
> and ICANN rule against Verisign's Site Finder, since it cybersquats
> on *EVERY REGISTERED TRADEMARK*?

No time yet, would be my guess.  AIUI the courts can't rule until
someone brings an action, and there's barely been time for lawyers to
get the ducks in a row for filing, never mind for it to actually get to
a judge even for a preliminary ruling.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer either.  But I have picked up on how law
time is a lot slower than online time.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign