Subject: Re: How to disable Verisign's Site Finder in named?
To: None <>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/27/2003 04:55:39
> While we are discussing the ethics of Verisign's site finder, I have
> a quick question.

Well, this is a bit off-topic for tech-net, but...

> Since ICANN and courts in several nations have ruled against
> cybersquatters that registered domain names that contain
> miss-spelling of registered trademarks, then why hasn't the courts
> and ICANN rule against Verisign's Site Finder, since it cybersquats

No time yet, would be my guess.  AIUI the courts can't rule until
someone brings an action, and there's barely been time for lawyers to
get the ducks in a row for filing, never mind for it to actually get to
a judge even for a preliminary ruling.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer either.  But I have picked up on how law
time is a lot slower than online time.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML