Subject: Re: RHINE Ethernet Bug
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/11/2003 00:21:10
On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 02:41:37PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> So it looks like I'm being bitten really badly by a bug in our RHINE
> Ethernet driver, when using the on-board Ethernet on a VIA EPIC Mini-ITX
> motherboard:

There is a lengthy PR with various theories for this:

  http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=10707

My personal theory nowadays (after trying different "fixes" posted for other
OS): it's a chipset bug in the old variants of ViaRhine. Just avoid this
hardware wherever you can. I've seen all OSs I tried lock up their network
connection with this hardware from time to time.

Martin