Subject: RHINE Ethernet Bug
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/09/2003 14:41:37
So it looks like I'm being bitten really badly by a bug in our RHINE
Ethernet driver, when using the on-board Ethernet on a VIA EPIC Mini-ITX
motherboard:

    vr0 at pci0 dev 18 function 0: VIA VT6102 (Rhine II) 10/100 Ethernet
    vr0: interrupting at irq 10
    vr0: Ethernet address: 00:40:63:c2:c5:84

Receving any significant amount of data cases the device to lock up (I
no longer receive any incoming packets nor can I send outgoing packets),
and eventually a "vr0: timeout" message appears on the console. This
occurs at 100base-T full duplex and 10base-T full and half duplex.

Doing an "ifconfig vr0 down up" appears to reset it, and it works again
until more data comes in. I'm told this is probably the "back to back
large packet" problem.

Is there already a PR on this, or should I file one? Anybody have any
suggestions for patches, etc?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org