Subject: Tracing ppp sessions
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/05/2003 21:15:27
Is it possibly the trace the byte stream from a dialup ppp session?

I'm having problems with fetching certain mail items from one of my pop3
servers.  Basically the pop3 connection locks solid at a reproducible
point in a particular message.  Re-run fetchmail and it will stop at the
same offset in the same message - even if you clear some of the earlier
messages by using -e.

It isn't a fetchmail bug, because telnet to the pop3 server has the same
effect.

tcpdump just shows the data being received and acks sent, plently of
window (etc).

I haven't noticed ipf reporting anything either.

If I disconnect and redial the problem (usually) goes away.

Also this has only started happening recently (kernel in Aug 11), but it
might have happenend before then.

I think I need to see data earlier than tcpdump - so that probably means the
ppp frames.

Thoughts?

	David

--