Subject: Re: bge0 doesn't like to autodetect gigabit
To: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/03/2003 14:29:17
>When I plugged in
>a network cable it reported 1000base-T

So far so good.

>but when I ran dhclient it went
>back to 100base-T and then got an IP address. When I first ran dhclient,
>it sent out several requests and then by the fourth or fifth it
>apparently switched to 100base-T and got its IP address.

Hm. Just for diagnostic purposes, can you try assigning a static
ip address, configuring that address at boot, and not running dhclinet?
(The idea is to never take the interface down after power-up).
Then do a hard power cycle.

If the link camme up at 1000baseT, and dhclient ifconfig'ing it up and
down causes it to drop down to 100Base-TX, mabye there's a bug in
PHY reset after link down (or link up?).