Subject: Re: Dialup connections and daily worm terror
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/03/2003 17:03:55
Hello,

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > Would it make sense for the kernel to use the async PPP code for sync
> > PPP (and PPPoE)?
>
> Yes. But you'll have to find a volunteer ;-)

This point strengthens the argument to solve this by simple options in kernel
config. I think, this is done in less than an hour. My solution is a bit dirty,
but maybe it helps.

I wonder why nobody else brought up this problem, as it hits everyone with a
dialup connection using sync PPP. So not only ISDN, but also ADSL is hit by
this problem. And there really are non-flatrates on ADSL :)

> On the other hand the current solution gives us a very, very small
> and fast implementation especially for the PPPoE case.

This is really true. As i switched over from rp-pppoe to in-kernel pppoe due to
the mbuf memory leak in netbsd-1.6 with rp-pppoe, i saw a very nice improvement
in performance. On my old P100, a full-rate download transferred about 80 kb/s
with about 30% CPU load with rp-pppoe, the in-kernel stuff brings up about 90
kb/s with less than 5% CPU load.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX