Subject: Re: Fw: Re: tcp connections lost on interface down
To: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/24/2003 12:53:59
On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 11:01:52PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> bouyer@antioche.eu.org (Manuel Bouyer) writes:
>
> >If power goes out, the connection will be broken too.
> >Still, this, or running out of mbuf, is an exeptionnal event. If it isn't
> >then you have to do something about it (buy an UPS, or increase the number
> >of mbufs).
>
> In my opinion, reconfiguring the network is an exceptional event too.

No. laptop users do it several times a day, when switching between
wireless and ethernet.

> >OK, this I can accept. Until now you talked about dropping a connection
> >when the address becomes invalid, not after a reasonable timeout after the
> >address becomes invalid.
>
> Well, I was also talking about not ignoring the error because someone
> wants to re-attach an interface after a 3 days time of the computer
> waiting in suspend mode :-)
>
> Dropping a connection when the address becomes invalid still sounds
> reasonable to me. I'd rather add methods for "moving" an address
> between interfaces that would not be seen as an exception. Providing

This won't work, because there can be a window in which you don't have
an interface at all (for example if you have to remove your ethernet
PCMCIA adapter to plug in the wireless one).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>