Subject: Re: Fw: Re: tcp connections lost on interface down
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/17/2003 20:33:00
bouyer@antioche.eu.org (Manuel Bouyer) writes:

>> I was talking about _local_ _administrative_ _decisions_. A reloaded
>> switch is surely not a part of that category. Not even removing the
>> network cable would be, unlike for example an 'ifconfig down'.

>you can use ifconfig down/ifconfig up to reset the interface (e.g. restart
>autoneg with the switch). This is sometimes usefull, and you don't want to
>loose active TCP connections because of this.

I agree. But I also do not want that programs continue to use an invalid
socket address when an interface gets reconfigured.

This conflict comes from mixing and merging the various layers. Setting an
interface up/down has lots of implications, that it is used to trigger a
renegotiation is _one_ effect, changing routes is another, notifying
applications used to be another for a short time. Maybe this needs to
be decoupled.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de