Subject: Re: Making ipintrq ifq_len and ifq_max readable and writable via sysctl
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/15/2003 16:44:01
>net.inet.ip.intrq.len
>net.inet.ip.intrq.maxlen
>net.inet.ip.intrq.drops
[..]

>The FreeBSD name sucks.  By using intrq, it's possible to standardize
>the IFQCTL_LEN, etal in if.h so other things can use it (arp, netiso,
>ipv6)

Well, okay, I wont argue that.  But it means creating another level of
sysctl names, which is a pain.  I've gotten addicted to the FreeBSD
oid_auto hack. It'll be Monday, not this pm.

btw, the method I use to tune this is ``keep doubling until drop count
stays at zero''. It'd be ...  more elegant to keep the peak value in
each ifq, and check: if I'm running with ipintrq max depth at 512, and
the high watermark is only 320, I could figure it out without recourse
to gdb on /dev/mem.   (Assuming the kernel has gdb symbols).

Any feedback on that?