Subject: Re: Making ipintrq ifq_len and ifq_max readable and writable via sysctl
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/15/2003 16:35:28
On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 04:19 PM, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> I've locally tweaked the bge driver to do heavy interrupt mitigation;
> up to ~44 received packets per interrupt.  With two or three interfaces
> running at that load, its ~trivial to overflow the ip input queue.
>
> I propose to add sysctl knobs to allow examining and modifying the
> current and max depth of inpintrq:
>
> 	  net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen
> 	  net.inet.ip.intr_queue_drops
> 	  net.inet.ip.intr_queue_len

net.inet.ip.intrq.len
net.inet.ip.intrq.maxlen
net.inet.ip.intrq.drops

> (intr_queue_len is new, the other two match the FreeBSD names.)

The FreeBSD name sucks.  By using intrq, it's possible to standardize
the IFQCTL_LEN, etal in if.h so other things can use it (arp, netiso,
ipv6)
--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: