Subject: Re: /sbin/ifup
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/13/2003 12:44:21
[ On Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 11:27:26 (-0400), Michael Richardson wrote: ]
> Subject: /sbin/ifup
>
> I think that people liked the code for /sbin/ifup, so I'd like to commit
> it.

It's not so much that I didn't like it -- I just don't see the need.

Maybe it's because I'm a reasonably fast touch typist, but I don't see
why it's so hard to just "cat /etc/ifconfig.whatever" and then cut&paste
(or retype if necessary) the parts I want onto the command line and
insert the word "ifconfig" at the front of those lines that need it.....

Do you really individually manipulate your network interfaces that much
during regular maintenance to require a teeny helper script like that?

> There were requests to split /etc/rc.d/network into two files
>       /etc/rc.d/interfaces   - just brings the interfaces up
> and   /etc/rc.d/network	     - does everything else

What good are interfaces without the routes necessary to actually do any
real networking?  In very simple situations just having one interface up
and configured will suffice, but in those scenarios where the simple
case is the only case then /etc/rc.d/network already does just exactly
what you need to do to use the network from single user mode.

The only thing I've ever thought that could reasonably be split out from
/etc/rc.d/network was the setting of the hostname and domainname.  Just
the same it shouldn't hurt to leave it there though

Maybe the ipv6 stuff should be separate, but it's all so interrelated
I'm not sure there's any point.....

--
						Greg A. Woods