Subject: Re: link layer aliases (on ethernet, at least)
To: Daniel Hagerty <>
From: Michael Richardson <>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/29/2003 16:12:41

    Daniel>     You're thinking of a second ethernet address as a full first
    Daniel>     class citizen it seems.  I'm not (at least not until you
    Daniel>     suggested it); it isn't needed for ??rp.

  I agree that ??rp doesn't need it.
  It might even be more confusing for it.

  But, it does make it useful for people who might want to attach
experimental or emulated (vmware, user-mode-bsd, etc.) protocol stacks
to a different network than the primary system.

    Daniel>     There are ways in which that brings up ambiguity questions
    Daniel>     again,
    Daniel> but depending on what you're actually trying to do, I can dimly
    Daniel> imagine ways in which the capability may be handy.  I just hope I
    Daniel> don't run into the real world situation;  I'm rarely amused when
    Daniel> that happens.

  I'd see this as primarily being useful in experiments myself.

]      Out and about in Ottawa.    hmmm... beer.                |  firewalls  [
] |device driver[
] panic("Just another Debian/notebook using, kernel hacking, security guy");  [

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Finger me for keys - custom hacks make this fully PGP2 compat