Subject: Re: setting link-level addresses
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Daniel Hagerty <hag@linnaean.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/29/2003 00:13:44
David Young <dyoung@pobox.com> writes:

> Dheeraj and Daniel,
>
> I'm glad you two are working on this.
>
> I am concerned that I will not be able to easily restore the link-level
> address to the hardware default. Have you thought about how to do that?

    I'm imagining from your statement that the in kernel code that
does this now doesn't manage this; I haven't checked.

    My offhand feeling would be to pay 20 bytes of extra sockaddr_dl
to maintain the burned in address in core, and expose it to userland
as SIOCD*ADDR of the primary restoring the burned in (and maybe return
EFOOBAR if the primary is already the burned in).