Subject: Question setting ethernet addresses on an interface
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Dheeraj Reddy <dheeraj@triveni.no-ip.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/27/2003 00:31:45
Hello all.

  i was trying to write code to set an ethernet address for an interface.
searched the lists . and got hold of this post.
  http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=6844168&list=465

  why is it that we need a structure that can hold data as large as
sockaddr_storage and not just the regular ifreq since all we need to
pass is the ethernet address and struct ifreq seems good enough to me ?
  Jason ??

  this is how i am doing it..
  i added the relevant ioctl's in /usr/include/sys/sockio.h and
/usr/src/sys/sys/sockio.h , and a procedure in ifconfig.c
and a handler 'case' in /usr/src/sys/net/if.c

   i'm doing this kind of programming for the first time and i want to
do it correctly.

thanks a lot in advance

truely
dheeraj