Subject: Re: TCP Connection Termination problem
To: Gurubaran T- CTD, Chennai. <Gurut@ctd.hcltech.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/17/2003 02:27:11
> In a typical TCP client/server scenario.  The server is waiting on
> accept call.  The client issues a connect to the server.  What i do
> at the server end is accept and immediately close the connection at
> the server end.  ( The client also doesn't send any data over this
> connection ).  Is there any problem in doing so.  Do i need to wait
> for a specific period of time before doing so.

No.  There are some known problems the client might run into if it is
not expecting this behaviour from the server, but that's all that comes
to mind.

> I heard that the client does a active close and server does a passive
> close in normal scenario, is this something different from that?

Without more details, I can't say.  The active-close/passive-close
distinction does not mean anything to me without more explanation.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign