Subject: Wireless Card Recommendations (was Re: new 802.11 driver: ADMtek ADM8211)
To: Bryan P <u9@terran.org>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/06/2003 20:42:19
On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 08:33:29PM -0700, Bryan P wrote:
> On the distinguished day of Jul 6, David Young wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I've just committed to NetBSD my driver for the ADMtek ADM8211, a
> > bus-mastering MAC for 802.11b. This is the first open-source driver for
> > this ubiquitous chip.
> >
> > This is the chip that has brought the price of an 11Mb/s 802.11b radio
> > *way* down. I just bought two PCI cards (LanReady WP2000) for $25
> > each. The Cardbus cards are cheap, too.
>
> Hello,
>
> It's great to see this happen.  If you'll allow me a slight faux pas, I'd
> like to piggy-back a question on this announcement: can anyone recommend a
> decent wireless card (this newly-supported one included) to use in a
> Cardbus x86 laptop running NetBSD-current?  I'm starting from scratch here
> and would like to put an access point in my house.  I've never used 802.11b
> before.

I would highly recommend the EnGenius/Senao cards available from:

http://www.netgate.com/

They are 200 mW where most cards are 30 mW or maybe up to 100 mW. They
are more expensive than your typical Netgear or Linksys card. My
favorite cards overall are the Cisco Aironet 350 series cards but they
are some of the most expensive cards on the market. It is probably a
better bet to go with a Prism 2.5 based card like the EnGenius/Senao
card if you are just starting out with wireless. The Prism 2.5 based
cards in addition to Orinoco cards are supported by the wi(4) driver.
Cisco cards are supported by the an(4) driver. Good luck with wireless.
It is one of the most fun things I have ever gotten into.

Bryan